Rental WiFi Service
- What is a Fon portable hotspot?
- A Fon portable hotspot—aka mobile broadband device, aka mi-fi device, aka personal WiFi hotspot, aka pocket WiFi, aka a bunch of other like-names—is a little router device, small enough to slip in your bag or pocket that gives you continuous internet connectivity anywhere, anytime, via Japan’s fast 4G mobile broadband networks. With the press of a single button, it emits a personal WiFi signal that only you (or someone in your travel group you share the unique password with) can connect a laptop, tablet, or smartphone to. Just like you would connect your devices to your own home WiFi. Pair it with your devices once, the first time, and it connects you to the internet automatically from then on. It’s that simple.
Unlike travel SIM card-only options, which can be more hassle than not for the unprepared, a portable hotspot is the easiest way to always connect a WiFi enabled device to the internet when in Japan.
- Why is a Fon portable hotspot better that a travel SIM?
- A Fon portable hotspot has many advantages when you travel in Japan. Here are just a few.
Compatibility – Right out of the box, a Fon portable hotspot provides optimal connectivity to Japan’s high speed 4G LTE networks. Your own devices connect to the portable hotspot over WiFi. This eliminates any direct technical incompatibilities between Japanese cellular networks and your own devices, so you can use them as they are.
With travel SIM cards, there is a long list of things you must know, or do, in advance of travel to ensure usability. Is your smartphone/ tablet locked or unlocked? Is it compatible with the cellular frequencies and bands used in Japan? Do you know what size SIM card your device requires? Do you rely on any apps or software on your device that require your own (home country) mobile phone number as a form of ID verification (direct or two-step process)? The phone number comes from your SIM card—swap it out and the link is broken. None of this is a concern with a portable hotspot. You use your mobile devices exactly as they are.
Mobility – A Fon portable hotspot in your pocket! It speaks for itself. You have personal internet access anywhere, anytime. All the time. When you aren’t near a fixed WiFi access spot, this portable router will give you internet access, regardless.
Convenience – A Fon portable hotspot will seamlessly connect multiple WiFi-enabled devices (smartphone, tablet, laptop and other portable device) simultaneously. Are friends or family traveling with you, or are you bringing many wireless gadgets? You can connect them all to one portable hotspot device. You are in total control.
Simplicity – A Fon portable hotspot is simple to use. Just turn on the power button and your smartphone/ tablet/ laptop/ other wireless device can connect over secure WiFi. It really is that simple!
Unlike travel SIM cards, there is no software to download and install, nor the need to re-configure core settings on your devices (such as the Access Point Name, or APN). The APN must be re-configured when using a travel SIM card so that the cellular carrier (to which the travel SIM card connects) knows what type of network connection is needed for your device, what security protocol should be used and what IP address will be assigned. None of this is necessary with a Fon portable hotspot. Why subject yourself to all this hassle on your holiday? Rent a Fon portable hotspot for simple, personal connectivity at any time.
- What is your WiFi service coverage area?
- Our WiFi service provides good coverage throughout Japan, utilizing multiple high-speed networks. For specific area coverage information, by network, check the following:
・for model 601HW here
・for model W05 here
- Are your WiFi devices easy to use?
- Yes. To connect, you turn on our rental device, select its WiFi network name from your phone (or your other WiFi enabled
devices) and input the password. It really is that simple. An instruction guide is included to step you through setup and daily use.
- What comes in your WiFi device pack?
- The pack includes a small WiFi device (mobile router), a USB wall charger & cable, a USB mobile battery, an instruction guide and a customer questionnaire.
- Are there any bandwidth caps on your WiFi devices?
- It is our intention to offer users internet access without limits, so our devices are pre-loaded with huge data allowances (hundreds of GBs). Reasonable use will never hit these limits. However, different 4G network carriers apply different transmission limits, in line with their own network fair use policies (FUP). If a carrier thinks your WiFi connection is consuming too much data too quickly, they may apply a temporary ‘throttle’ (speed restriction) on the connection. Our devices are subject to the following network provider imposed limits:
- Model W05: No total cap but if usage exceeds 10GB three (3) consecutive days, the network provider may temporarily suspend or throttle the connection.
- Does your WiFi device support smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices purchased outside Japan?
- Yes, our WiFi devices support Internet connectivity for any WiFi enabled smartphone, tablet or laptop device/s.
- Can I receive a WiFi device the day after I order it online?
- Yes, if you order prior to 2PM Japan Standard Time one day prior to your intended pick up and use, then a quick delivery is possible*.
*This option depends on the delivery address/location, which determines delivery logistics. Contact us for specific advice.
- How is your rental period calculated?
- The date the product arrives at the nominated pickup address is defined as the ‘Rental Start Date’. The date the product is placed in a Japan Post box for return is defined as the ‘Rental End Date’.
- Can I return the product before the end of the rental period (i.e. return it early)?
- Yes, you can return the product at any time before the end of the rental period. However, there are no refunds for early returns (i.e. unused days).
- Can I extend my rental period?
- Yes, if you wish to extend the rental period you must do so in advance of rental period expiry*.
*Overdue fees will be levied on extensions made/applied for after the rental period ends.
- Do I need to pay Internet access fees?
- No, internet access fees are not charged in addition to the overall service rental fee if bandwidth caps are not exceeded.
- Are there additional charges to your stated service rental fees?
Yes, there is a total 1080 (tax incl.) fee for shipping requirements, and a fee for product damage/loss insurance (which is optional). These costs are calculated during your order process, in line with the specifics of your service selections. Late fees are applied to orders that overrun agreed rental end dates.
- Can I get a partial refund if I return the product before the end of the rental period?
- No, there are no partial refunds for early returns (i.e. unused days).
Delivery / Return
- Does the shipping fee cover delivery and return?
- Yes, the shipping charge covers both delivery (to you) and return (back to us).
- Can you deliver directly to my hotel?
- Yes, we can deliver to the reception desk of the hotel address you indicate in the online order form. When ordering, please indicate the recipient’s name in the recipient field.
- Can I return the product via any post box?
- Yes, you return the device, using the envelope included in the pack, via any (Japan Post) post box*. *You must return the product via a post box in Japan. International delivery is not accepted.
- I appear unable to receive emails from Fon Rental WiFi.
- You may need to add our address (email@example.com) to your mailbox’s list of accepted email address domains. Some online emails services and Internet Service Providers (ISPs) can have security settings that filter/block our address domain.
- What should I do if I receive a software (firmware) update for the WiFi device?
- You can update if you wish, or choose to ignore it. The device will continue to operate normally if you don’t choose to update.
- What happens if the WiFi device suffers damage?
- You will be required to bear the costs of repair for any malfunctions or damage (including water damage) caused during your rental period. If the device is damaged beyond repair, you will be charged the 42,000 yen replacement cost*.
*If you have our ‘Peace of Mind Insurance’ coverage, repair costs are waived.
If device malfunction occurs during use, contact us ASAP and we will discuss options to send you a replacement device.
- What happens if the WiFi device gets misplaced or lost?
- If the device is misplaced or lost, you will be charged the 42,000 yen replacement cost*.
*If you have our ‘Peace of Mind Insurance’ coverage, you will be charged only half the 42,000 yen replacement cost
- Can I change or cancel my order reservation?
- This depends on the circumstances. Please contact us as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org